We made some of these last week at Bacon Towers, using some fresh Spinach from the garden. Very easy to put together and an absolute winner for your summer picnics!!
200g fresh leaf spinach, washed and drained
200g (approx. 8 rashers) Original Unsmoked back bacon, snipped into small pieces
1 dozen medium free-range eggs
100ml whipping cream
125g mature Cheddar cheese, coarsely grated
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 190C/fan170C/Gas 5. Grease the compartments of a reliably non-stick 12-muffin tin generously with a little of the butter.
- Melt the remaining butter in a large non-stick pan. Add the spinach to the pan and cook over a high heat for a couple of minutes until it has all wilted down into the base of the pan. Tip it into a colander and press out all the excess liquid then coarsely chop.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over a high heat. Add the chopped bacon and fry it for 4-5 minutes until lightly golden. Tip onto a plate lined with kitchen paper and leave to cool slightly.
- Break the eggs into a large mixing bowl and beat together well with a fork. Stir in the whipping cream, cooked spinach, bacon, 75g of the cheddar cheese, 3/4 teaspoon of salt and some black pepper.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the muffin cups and sprinkle the tops with the remaining cheese. Bake for 20 minutes until the quiches are puffed up and just set. Run a round bladed knife around each one and carefully remove them from the tin. Serve warm or cold.