It’s a Saturday morning and your Cure & Simple Bacon delivery has dropped through the post. You are feeling adventurous and want to create something magical to kick start your weekend. Cue this superb Egg & Bacon breakfast tart. A superb and easy to put together recipe. We recommend our Unsmoked Original Streaky.
1 x approx. 320g sheet of ready-rolled puff pastry
5 really fresh medium free-range eggs
75g crème fraiche
50g Gruyere cheese, coarsely grated
200g (approx. 8 rashers) Original streaky bacon
1 tbsp snipped chives
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200C/fan180C/Gas 6. Unroll the sheet of pastry and place it onto a lightly buttered non-stick baking sheet. Score a 1.5 cm wide border around the edge, taking care not to cut all the way through the pastry. Break one of the eggs into a cup and beat it with a fork. Brush a little beaten egg around the border, then prick the centre of the pastry with a fork. Slide it into the oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix the crème fraiche with the grated cheese, 2 tablespoons of the remaining beaten egg and some seasoning.
- Remove the pastry from the oven and flatten the centre with the back of a fork. Spread the crème fraiche mixture over the centre of the pastry, keeping the border clean, then arrange the bacon rashers on top in a diamond pattern, cutting them in half where necessary to fit. Bake for 15 minutes, turning the tray around half way through so that it cooks evenly.
- Remove the tart from the oven and crack the remaining 4 eggs in between the bacon rashers and season them lightly with salt and pepper. Return the tart to the oven for 8-10 minutes until the whites are set but the yolks are still soft. Scatter with the snipped chives and serve immediately.
- Feel smug and satisfied!!